The Ocean, its ecosystems, and the UNFCCC: what actions now for effective Ecosystem based Adaptation
Effective Ecosystem-based Adaptation (EbA) could provide local adaptation & mitigation options but with rapidly advancing climate change is there a still a window of opportunity for such investment & action? Is there a global warming limit when this window will close? This is a side event at the Ocean Pavilion at COP27.
The expert panelists will bring the latest scientific evidence to the event to better inform policy makers on Ecosystem-based Adaptation (EbA), its uncertainties, its co-benefits, and temperature & time limits for action through short interventions & an interactive moderator-led round table discussion followed by Q&A with the audience.
The event will inspire Parties & non-Parties to include realistic & effective marine EbA within their NDCs & to raise all Nations’ ambition to keep 1.5°C alive. Short interventions by panel members & an interactive panel discussion led by the moderator will be followed by Q&A with the audience.
Join us at COP27
To share new knowledge about water and climate, SIWI will be taking active part in the global climate conference COP27 between 6 and 18 November. Join our programme online to learn about a promising new generation of climate solutions.SIWI at COP
Moderator: Carol Turley, Head of International Office, Plymouth Marine Laboratory
Panelists (3 minutes each):
- Hans Otto Pörtner, Co-Chair IPCC WGII
- Mayor Jean Te of Libertad, Antique, Philippines
- David Obura, Founding Director, CORDIO, East Africa
- Nozi Mbongwa, Oceans Alive, South Africa (pre-recorded)
- Ruth Mathews, Source 2 Sea (virtual)
Panel discussion around the following questions:
- What are the pros and cons of EbA?
- Are there warming and time limits for EbA? Is there a window of opportunity and if so when will that shut?
- How would you ensure effective EbA now and in the future?
- What would realistic and effective EbA look like?
- Would you encourage investment in EbA and if so, why?
- What are the similarities and differences between Ecosystem Adaptation and Nature Based Solutions?
- How can science best help effective EbA implementation?