SIWI participates in international processes and global meetings to advocate for a more holistic approach to climate action and development. As one of very few organizations that works broadly on water issues – from social, environmental, and economic perspectives – we have a special responsibility.
SIWI’s work is based on the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, As underlined by the UN Secretary-General, the international community must act decisively to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and understand how they are interlinked. A growing body of research demonstrates how the impacts of climate change and degraded ecosystems jeopardize food security and access to water, especially for the world’s poorest.
Water is a connector between all the SDGs and offers opportunities for solutions that address several problems simultaneously. SIWI advocates for a cohesive approach to development with water at the centre. We monitor progress on all the SDGs, with a special focus on SDG 6 on water and SDG 14 on life below water.
Here are some examples of our advocacy work:
- SIWI has sought to influence processes such as the 2030 Agenda on Sustainable Development, the Paris Agreement on climate change, the Addis Ababa Action Agenda, the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction, and the New Urban Agenda. We successfully lobbied for a specific water-related sustainable development goal as part of the 2030 Agenda, SDG 6, for example.
- SIWI follows the progress of all the SDGs and takes an active part in the High-Level Political Forum on Sustainable Development. We also organize an annual High-Level Panel during World Water Week to take stock of water-related achievements.
- SIWI is a founding member and co-chair of the Alliance for Global Water Adaptation, AGWA.
- SIWI and AGWA are focal points for water in the Marrakech Partnership for Global Climate Action, which is the UN Climate Convention’s (UNFCCC) platform for non-State party stakeholders.
- SIWI and the Marrakech Partnership for Global Climate Action organize different activities ahead of and during international climate meetings, COPs, to raise awareness of water perspectives.