Water smart cities: from design to development
What is the role freshwater to enhance climate security and urban resilience? This session spotlights various co-benefits including healthy ecosystems, resilient livelihoods and protecting biodiversity, with reference to best practices and case studies from the MENA and wider geographical contexts.
The global water crisis is at the core of multiple interconnected environmental, economic, and social problems. Urban areas around the world are increasingly feeling the impacts of climate change, facing environmental hazards from cyclones, floods, and droughts. By 2050, more than two-thirds of the world’s population are expected to live in cities and global water demand is expected to increase.
Opening remarks: Nathanial Matthews, Chief Executive Officer, Global Resilience Partnership
- John Matthews, Executive Director, Alliance for Global Water Adaptation (AGWA) moderator
- Jo da Silva, Global Director of Sustainable Development, Arup
- Thomas Rebermark, Director, Swedish Water House, Stockholm International Water Institute (SIWI)
- Inês Breda, Young Water Professionals Steering Committee, International Water Association & Senior Manager of Global Partnerships and Alliance, GRUNDFOS
This session will:
- Explore technological, policy and social innovation in cities. It will consider how these challenges can be addressed through technological developments, policy advancements and behaviour change.
- Create a space for exchange and discussion highlighting the importance of co-creation of solutions and integration of water resource management approaches across urban areas.
- Share good governance principles to strengthen effective water stewardship.
- Outline ways in which clear responsibilities and coordination between cities and water authorities can enhance climate resilience and adaptation.
- Provide greater understanding into how partnerships, knowledge sharing, and innovation can prepare the most vulnerable communities to better cope with shocks, adapt to change and transform within planetary boundaries.
This session will happen in Expo City Farm, Green Zone, COP28