SIWI at Rio+20: Key messages and sessions
SIWI has prepared a Key Messages document, which provides a series of priorities on water issues to be included in the outcomes of Rio+20. The main points are:
- Access to drinking water and sanitation is a human right: A sustainable development goal on water must set targets for achieving universal access.
- Set a sustainable development goal on water for improved water efficiency, reduced water pollution and improved wastewater management.
- Set a sustainable development goal on energy and food security and include targets to significantly increase water use efficiency.
- Integrate water in climate adaptation and mitigation policy and implementation at all levels.
- Call for more effective cooperation on transboundary waters.
- Establish good water governance as a prerequisite for sustainable development.
SIWI will be involved in the following sessions:
TUESDAY 12 JUNE
16.00-18.00, Water Security: Growing Multiple Needs and Scarcity. (Pontifical Catholic University Rua Marquês São Vicente, 225 – Gávea).
Session Convenors: UNESCO-IHP, GWSP.
18.00-20.00, Water Resources; Uncertainties and Opportunities. Case Studies from Geographic Hotspots.
(Pontifical Catholic University Rua Marquês São Vicente, 225 – Gávea).
Session Convenors: UNESCO-IHP, French Water Academy, FAO – Mountain Partnership Secretariat,
THURSDAY 14 JUNE
17.30-19.00, UN Watercourses Convention side-event. (T-8, RioCentro).
Session Convenors: SIWI, WWF (others TBC).
FRIDAY 15 JUNE
11.00-11.40, The Water, Food and Energy Nexus – A Fundament for a Green Economy. (Common Space Conference Room CNO 3 at Athlete’s Park).
Session Convenor: SIWI and KTH.
SATURDAY 16 JUNE
9.00-10.30, Sustainable Water Use in Textile Production – A Case for Cooperation at the UN Global Compact’s Rio +20 Corporate Sustainability Forum (Windsor Barra Hotel & Congresses)
Session Convenor: The Government of Sweden.
SUNDAY 17 JUNE
11:00-13.30, The Economics of Sustainable Development, Including Sustainable Patterns of Production
and Consumption. (Venue TBC).
Session Convenor: TBC.
MONDAY 18 JUNE
9.30-11:00, Mountain Knowledge Solutions for Improved Water, Food, Energy and Environment Nexus (P3-A, RioCentro).
Co-convenors: ICIMOD, SIWI, Govt. of Nepal, Mountain Partnership, EVK2CNR and GGCA.
14.00-14.40, Sweden Textile Water Initiative Session (Common Space Conference Room CNO 4 at Athlete’s Park).
Session Convenor: SIWI
TUESDAY 19 JUNE
09.30-13.00, Water Day
17.30-21.00, Part 1: Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM), Benefiting Countries for a Sustainable and Equitable Future. Interactive Policy Dialogue and Launch of the UN-Water Report on Water Resources Management. Access to Water & Sanitation, Reflections on the Rio +20 Outcome document. (Venues TBC).
Part 2: Water and Sanitation as a Human Right. International Year of Water Cooperation and World
Water Day 2013. (Venue TBC).