My name is Pauline Estrada and I competed at the 2022 Stockholm Junior Water Prize with my brother, John Estrada. I am from California and started participating in science fair in fourth grade. Outside of science, I enjoy ballet and spending time with my two cats.Tell us what the water concern in your country is!
In the United States, specifically California where I live, drought is a huge problem that is worsening with climate change.This is what I think is one of the solutions for a sustainable future:
I believe using artificial intelligence to detect drought stress in crops can help ensure food security and conserve water.
Conservation of Irrigation Water Through a Novel AI Drought Assessment (AIDA) Model in Field Grown Tomato (Solanum lycopersicum) Using a Custom-Built “Spectra-Rover”
Development of an early detection tool to assess drought stress in plants is crucial in reducing irrigation water used to grow agricultural crops. The AIDA model was developed using field data and variables that are physiologic and direct indicators of drought stress. A custom-built Spectra-Rover was constructed with infrared (IR) and RGB cameras to capture radiometric IR and RGB plant canopy images. Radiometric IR temperature, red, green, and blue light reflectance values, and soil moisture readings were used to train the AIDA model. Eighty percent (80%) of the data was used in the training dataset and the remaining 20% was used in the validation dataset. The AIDA model validation output was very close to the actual CWSI values with a…