World Water Week 2017: Overarching conclusions
The 2017 World Water Week showed the momentum and strength that can be built by bringing together key actors in the water, climate and development communities.
This year’s World Water Week, themed Water and waste: Reduce and reuse, once again showed how important it is to bring together key actors in the water, climate and development communities. The Week becomes a place where organizations, businesses and other actors can compare experiences, share expertise and form new partnerships that will enhance implementation of Agenda 2030.
In our 2018-2021 Strategy, launched at 2017 World Water Week, we at SIWI set out to strengthen the pillars that the organization rests on: convening power, and building and sharing of knowledge.
The rapporteur teams did formidable work, attending every single event during the Week
They share their take-home messages in these Overarching Conclusions. So does the Chair of the Scientific Programme Committee, who reports on the outcomes of the nine Seminars that form the scientific core of the Week. In addition to these reports, SIWI has formulated its main conclusions from the Week, which include:
- Policy-makers want to hear what we have to say;
- Strengthened governance allows and directs vital investment;
- Young professionals are claiming their rightful place at the table;
- Interest from the private sector at World Water Week is escalating;
- We must make a new push for the Water Goal in the Agenda 2030;
- Water Cooperation is crucial in times of increased demand and scarcity, and
- We must strive to better understand the different values of water.
New this year, SIWI is launching the Overarching Conclusions in an interactive format. The new format invites you to explore more of the Week and relive important discussions and moments.
For details on this, and much more, including social media engagement at and beyond the Week, please explore our new digital version of the Overarching Conclusions. The new interactive format invites you to explore more of the Week and relive important discussions and moments through video and photos. Full length texts can be downloaded in PDF. Enjoy!